Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Review: Keynes: The Rise, Fall and Return of the 20th Century's Most Influential Economist by Peter Clarke

My thoughts- Let me start by saying that I think this book is for a pretty selective audience. I don't think I was necessarily part of that audience, I'm a political science major and as such have more of an interest in politics than economics. But anyone who wants to learn more about Keynes or about the impact of his policies would probably enjoy this book, it just does not really have too much of a mass appeal.

That being said, I did enjoy reading the biography part of this book and learning about both Keynes' personal life and public life; he was definitely not who I expected. I also found the epilogue to be of particular interest, in a time of economic crisis it is always valuable to look to the past to teach us lessons. My professor once said something about how historians often times study a particular topic and write about it being mindful of current situations, I think that definitely pertains to this book. If biographies and economics are your cup of tea, then you might enjoy this book.

disclaimer: I did not receive any monetary compensation for this review. I received this book in return for my honest review, the thoughts stated here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment