Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Review: The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf

Early one morning, two young girls disappear from there beds seemingly without a struggle. The two girls are best friends so it is thought that they may be together. Calli is selectively mute and has not talked since witnessing her mother lose a baby when she is four years old. Petra is her other half, they can understand each other without words, she is Calli's voice.

This story is told through multiple perspectives, and is told in the third person only when from the perspective of Calli, the selective mute. I usually love stories told from multiple perspectives and I did enjoy this book. Even so, I think I would have liked the inclusion of Calli's father's perspective. I also found the changes to be somewhat confusing at times. Another issue I had was that I did not necessarily sympathize with some of the characters, mainly Antonia. At times her actions seemed out of character considering the way she had treated her daughter.

In spite of this, this book was definitely an intense thriller, it left me wondering what was going to happen next. I think this book did a good job of addressing a dark issue and portraying the distress caused by a child's disappearance. I would rate it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

disclaimer: I did not receive any monetary compensation for this review.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished this today, my favourite of the year actually. I wrote my review will put up later.

    I'm a new follower now, saw you on Book Blogs

    Here is mine.
    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete