Monday, July 26, 2010

The Recipe Club by Andrea Israel and Nancy Garfinkel



From the cover
Loyalty, loss, and the ties that bind. These are the ingredients of The Recipe Club, a "novel cookbook" that combines an authentic story of friendship with more than 80 delicious recipes.


Lilly and Val have been friends since childhood in spite of their great personality differences. Lilly is artistic and creative while Val is smart and ambitious. Throughout their childhood, the girls send letters to each other and form a Recipe Club where they exchange recipes with each other. These shared letters and recipes follow the girls as they grow up and go through all the experiences that brings with it. The novel follows the journey of these two now grown up women, and their attempts to try to reconnect after a twenty-six year long fallout.

Yet again, I loved this book! Maybe I'm a bit partial because I love books told in letter form but I seriously loved reading this. I like how it is separated into three different parts, the first reconnection, the girls growing up and then the second attempt to reconnect and just how much changes within these phases. I thought it was great that almost the entire novel is told through letters, it just seems so much more personal to me for some reason. The recipes were another great addition, I definitely want to try some of them out, although I'll have to modify most somewhat because I'm vegetarian. I loved that the recipes often matched what was going on in the book, it was their story told in recipes.

This was a book that made me believe in the healing power and the resilience of friendship. It made me long to reconnect with friends that I have fallen out of touch with recently. I absolutely couldn't put it down.

Disclaimer: I received no compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment